SME engineers, recognising the potential of the latest complementary equipment, accepted the challenge to design and build a pick-up arm which unlike others in existence would make no detectable sound contribution of its own. The work took almost four years and the measure of its success is the acceptance of the Series V precision pick-up arm by technical experts and users as one of the world's truly great audio products.
Series V sound has an almost startling dynamic range and neutrality enabling high levels to be enjoyed. It escapes the 'LP' sound and demonstrates that structural resonances in pick-up arms are responsible for much that makes vinyl records readily discernible from master tapes.
The functioning of a pick-up arm appears simple but is in fact very complex. All cartridges employ relative motion between armature and stator portions of a generating system to produce the signal output. Reproduction can only be true therefore when all movement representing groove modulation is made by the armature to which the stylus cantilever is attached and none by the stator represented by the cartridge body. Unless the pick-up arm holds the latter against even the minutest movement at audio frequencies the signal will be modified in some way. The result is a subtle loss of clarity, dynamic range and transient attack that can make the sound from even the best system tiring to listen to.
Read more about the SME Series V Tonearm technical design.
Also available in a detatchable version, with Gold Print and Gold Plated - call to order with any of these options.
- Unique one-piece pressure die-cast tonearm utilising the advantages of magnesium.
- Internal constrained layer damps minute residual vibration leaving the tone-arm acoustically inert.
- Fine machined cartridge platform, enamel free to avoid interface resonance.
- A Stainless steel cross shaft, ground and thread ground.
- Dynamic balance graduated VTF control applies 0-3g x 0.125g ( resonance controlled spring).
- Unique assembly offers high rigidity and allows bearings to be critically adjusted before fitting.
- Stainless steel vertical shaft, ground and thread ground, integral 16mm diameter flange.
- 23mm diameter steel pillar, heat treated, ground and honed, carries two 17mm ABEC 7 ball races.
- Anti-skate control (tension spring and filament). Dial corresponds with VTF / positive OFF position.
- Lowering/raising control gives smooth positive action. Height of lift can be adjusted.
- Subsonic lateral mode fluid damper can be instantly adjusted or cancelled.
- Dual-lock base provides movement control with high rigidity.
- Tungsten-alloy balance weight. Extra-low inertia design assists warp riding.
- Underslung weight housing corrects centre of gravity and provides non-reflective tone-arm termination.
- Swivelling damped output socket minimises vibration transmission in sub-chassis use.
- Fine adjustment of arm height (VTA).
- Reference lines on tone-arm facilitate VTA setting.
- Fine adjustment of horizontal tracking angle (HTA).
- New design alignment protractor sets HTA with greater accuracy.
- Advanced jig/template system guarantees correct positioning.
Write Your Own Review
|Delivery Destination||Delivery Times||Cost|
|UK Mainland||Same Day Dispatch* (1-2 working days)||Free|
|Ireland||Same Day Dispatch* (2-5 working days)||£9.99/£19.99**|
*Applies to In Stock items. Orders placed after 2pm will be dispatched the following working day. Free next day delivery does not include Saturdays. We can arrange Saturday delivery for £10 per box (please call to order).
**Any order under 0.9kg in weight will be charged at £9.99 (ships by Royal Mail), any order 0.9kg or over will be charged at £19.99 (ships by courier).
Our rates are some of the best available. To see shipping charges to your country, simply add the items to your basket, select your country and area or post code and click "Get a Quote".
For orders under 2kg in weight, we use Royal Mail (airmail insured). For orders over 2kg, we use a selection of premium couriers (TNT, UPS or FedEx). Customs charges apply for shipments to EU countries and are your responsibility to pay (read more).
We operate an easy returns process. If you decide you don't want an item, please contact us within 7 days of delivery for a returns number. For more information, please read our return's policy.
|Purchase Price||-||Total Repayable||-|
|Deposit||-||Duration of Agreement (months)||-|
|Amount of Credit||-||Rate of Interest (fixed)||-%|
|- Monthly Payments||-||-% APR Representative|
You can estimate your repayments above. When you are ready to order, simply click the green "Add to Cart" button above, proceed to checkout and enter your delivery details. At the "Payment information" section, select "Finance" and click "Proceed to Checkout". This will take you to the Pay4Later finance application which you can complete online.
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
RRP : £259.00£232.96