SME Model 20/3 turntable (available on 0% finance) replaces the Model 20/2, an extensive revamp that sees trickle down refinements from the Model 30/3, a new achievement in vinyl replay and winner of Hi-Fi Choice's "Outstanding Product" award. The 20/2 was SME's best seller and the Model 20/3 looks set to continue this tradition by being one of the finest turntables money can buy, offering almost the same performance as the Model 30/3 at a more affordable level.
Available as turntable only (referred to as "Model 20/3") or as turntable with SME V-GPD tonearm (which is the Series V with gold detailing and as a package is referred to as Model 20/3a).
Precision Engineering Improved
In an electro-mechanical record replay system ("turntable" to you and us), a major problem is vibration. This will come from numerous sources including air and structure borne vibrations from loudspeakers, vibrations caused by groove modulation and those set up by stray electrical fields and mechanical imperfections in the turntable's moving parts. The higher the mass and stiffness of a body the less it will flex and vibrate; the duration of a vibration can be shortened by suitable damping.
The Model 20/3 weighs an impressive 28.6kg, a 10.4kg increase on the 18,2kg weight of the original Model 20/2. The added weight comes from an increase in the thickness of the chassis plates from 9.5mm to 16mm, increase in platter weight from 4.6kg to 6.5kg and increase in size overall, measuring 20mm wider at 440mm and 30mm deeper at 350mm. In addition, the 20/3 features an all black platter.
The increase in size and weight means the 20/3 has a better ability to resist flexing at low frequencies and high frequency resonance is attenuated by efficient extensional damping. The same method of suspending and decoupling the sub-chassis via 40 purpose moulded 'O'-rings is still an essential part of the design and is sufficient to prevent acoustic feedback.
The 20/3 also features an improved central damper (closer to that featured on the 30/3), an improved oil bath and the latest SME external power supply.
- Four point suspension for stability.
- Sub-chassis suspended by 40 purpose moulded ‘O rings.
- Suspension adjustable through trimmers and gauge.
- Central fluid damper controls sub-chassis motion and offers resistive ground-path.
- 2 screws lock down the sub-chassis and seal the damper for transport.
- 19mm diameter main spindle machined from high-chrome steel, hardened and super finished.
- Main Spindle runs in a sealed oil bath for lifetime lubrication.
- Screw down reflex record clamping system minimises record resonance.
- 6.5Kg (14lb) platter with unique Isodamp face machined with a fine scroll for optimum record interface.
- Generous use of extensional damping and resistive loop construction ensure sonic neutrality.
- Optional mounting on steel ball feet or compliant inserts, both affording levelling adjustment.
- Four jacking screws built into the sub-platter allow the thrust bearing to be off loaded for transit.
- Power Supply features 4-layer surface mount technology, on-board adjustable speed control.
- Large diameter strobe disc supplied allows precise adjustment of standard speeds.
- Speed range: 33 1/3, 45 & 78 rpm.
- Fully shielded in-line control unit. LEDs indicate themain functions
|Includes USB Input||No|
|Includes Dust Cover||No|
|Speed||33rpm, 45rpm, 78rpm|
|Turntable Type||Direct Drive|
|Product Award||HiFi News Outstanding Product|
'As of now, the Model 20/3 is the best value deck in the range. Indeed a masterpiece.' (Hi-Fi News Yearbook 2011)
Write Your Own Review
|Delivery Destination||Delivery Times||Cost|
|UK Mainland||Same Day Dispatch* (1-2 working days)||Free|
|Ireland||Same Day Dispatch* (2-5 working days)||£9.99/£19.99**|
*Applies to In Stock items. Orders placed after 2pm will be dispatched the following working day. Free next day delivery does not include Saturdays. We can arrange Saturday delivery for £10 per box (please call to order).
**Any order under 0.9kg in weight will be charged at £9.99 (ships by Royal Mail), any order 0.9kg or over will be charged at £19.99 (ships by courier).
Our rates are some of the best available. To see shipping charges to your country, simply add the items to your basket, select your country and area or post code and click "Get a Quote".
For orders under 2kg in weight, we use Royal Mail (airmail insured). For orders over 2kg, we use a selection of premium couriers (TNT, UPS or FedEx). Customs charges apply for shipments to EU countries and are your responsibility to pay (read more).
We operate an easy returns process. If you decide you don't want an item, please contact us within 7 days of delivery for a returns number. For more information, please read our return's policy.
|Purchase Price||-||Total Repayable||-|
|Deposit||-||Duration of Agreement (months)||-|
|Amount of Credit||-||Rate of Interest (fixed)||-%|
|- Monthly Payments||-||-% APR Representative|
You can estimate your repayments above. When you are ready to order, simply click the green "Add to Cart" button above, proceed to checkout and enter your delivery details. At the "Payment information" section, select "Finance" and click "Proceed to Checkout". This will take you to the Pay4Later finance application which you can complete online.
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
RRP : £250.00£224.99
RRP : £4,848.99£4,199.00
RRP : £249.95£224.95
RRP : £59.95£53.95
RRP : £161.95£149.95