The SME Model 20/12 (available on 0% finance) is a larger and more massive version of the well known 20/2. In contrast to its smaller brother, the Model 20/12 will accept both nine, ten and twelve-inch arms. This offers a performance some 27% better than a nine-inch arm in respect of angular error distortion.
The wand and headshell are pressure die-cast in magnesium and are 27g lighter than they would be in aluminium. Probably the stiffest and lightest twelve-inch arms ever made these dual problems are at last addressed and on listening, the benefits of minimal tracking error and harmonic distortion are clearly revealed. A turntable should address the problems of extraneous vibrations. These emanate from numerous sources including air and structural vibration from loudspeakers, groove modulation, stray electrical fields and mechanical imperfections in moving parts.
In the Model 20/12, superb instrument quality machining is allied with fundamental physics. The higher the mass and stiffness of a body the less it will flex and vibrate; the duration of a vibration can be shortened by suitable damping.
Model 20/12 weighs approximately 33.5Kg (73.7lb), significant in relation to its size because it is density that matters. For example, the same weight of metal spread over a large enough area would be aluminium foil! The sub-chassis measures only 20 1/2” (520mm) by 14 3/4” (375mm) but weighs 8.0Kg (17.6lb). Its thickness, 5/8” (16mm) resists flexing at low frequencies whilst high frequency resonance is attenuated by efficient extensional damping.
Model 20/12 has no `sonic footprint'. The sub-chassis is suspended on forty purpose moulded ‘O’ rings which ensure freedom from feedback. A large centrally placed fluid-damper disciplines sub-chassis movement with a pleasing sense of security when handling records on and off the platter.
In addition to a cartridge’s electrical output, mirror image acoustic signals reacted in the arm and record, will pass into the sub-chassis in the course of dissipation. However the usual closed loop design does not address the problem of their differing phase so in the Model 20/12 the structural interfaces concerned have received special attention to provide paths of the required impedance.
This control of vibration is fundamental to the design of the player and goes much of the way to explaining the stunning tonal and dynamic neutrality that it exhibits.
- Stable four point suspension.
- Sub-chasis suspended on eighty strands of rubber in the form of forty purpose moulded ‘O’-rings.
- Trimming screws for suspension adjustment.
- Central fluid damper controls sub-chassis motion and offers resistive ground-path for acoustic signals.
- For transport lock down screws secure the sub-chassis and seal the damper.
- 19mm diameter main spindle machined from high-chrome steel. Runs in a sealed oil bath.
- Reflex clamping system minimises record resonance.
- 6.5Kg (14.3lb) machined platter with unique Isodamp face.
- Generous use of extensional damping and resistive loop construction ensure sonic neutrality.
- Adjustable ball feet with optional compliant inserts.
- Four jacking screws built into the sub-platter allow the thrust bearing to be off loaded for transit.
- Driven by a 3-phase, 6 pulse, inductance motor, with 8 pole Neodymium magnets.
- New design incorporates a 4 layer PCB with on-board user adjustable speed variation control.
- Large diameter strobe disc supplied allows precise adjustment of standard speeds.
- Speeds ranges: 33.3, 45 and 78 rpm.
|Includes USB Input||No|
|Includes Dust Cover||No|
|Turntable Type||Belt Driven|
- - Dimensions: 520 x 375 x 173.5mm.
- - Packing: Substantial case.
- - Net weight with power supply: 35.5kg (78lb)
- - Shipping weight approximately: 45.5kg (100lb)
Write Your Own Review
|Delivery Destination||Delivery Times||Cost|
|UK Mainland||Same Day Dispatch* (1-2 working days)||Free|
|Ireland||Same Day Dispatch* (2-5 working days)||£9.99/£19.99**|
*Applies to In Stock items. Orders placed after 2pm will be dispatched the following working day. Free next day delivery does not include Saturdays. We can arrange Saturday delivery for £10 per box (please call to order).
**Any order under 0.9kg in weight will be charged at £9.99 (ships by Royal Mail), any order 0.9kg or over will be charged at £19.99 (ships by courier).
Our rates are some of the best available. To see shipping charges to your country, simply add the items to your basket, select your country and area or post code and click "Get a Quote".
For orders under 2kg in weight, we use Royal Mail (airmail insured). For orders over 2kg, we use a selection of premium couriers (TNT, UPS or FedEx). Customs charges apply for shipments to EU countries and are your responsibility to pay (read more).
We operate an easy returns process. If you decide you don't want an item, please contact us within 7 days of delivery for a returns number. For more information, please read our return's policy.
Finance over how many months?
|Purchase Price||-||Total Repayable||-|
|Deposit||-||Duration of Agreement (months)||-|
|Amount of Credit||-||Rate of Interest (fixed)||-%|
|- Monthly Payments||-||-% APR Representative|
How to buy on finance?You can estimate your repayments above. When you are ready to order, simply click the green "Add to Cart" button above, proceed to checkout and enter your delivery details. At the "Payment information" section, select "Finance" and click "Proceed to Checkout". This will take you to the Pay4Later finance application which you can complete online.
You may also be interested in the following product(s)
RRP : £468.00£299.00
RRP : £19.00£17.00
RRP : £24.95£18.95