|Warranty length||2 years standard (5 years on registration)|
Sample Rates Supported: S/PDIF up to 192kHz
USB Inputs: Front panel socket
UPnP: Hi-Res UPnP playback up to 24bit/96kHz (WAV and FLAC)
Antenna Inputs: DAB/FM, WiFi
Tuning Range: DAB (Band lll and L Band), FM 87.5-108MHz
Other Inputs: Ethernet
Analogue Outputs: DIN and RCA
Line Outputs Fixed (level): 2.1V rms at 1kHz
Output Impedance: 10Ω maximum
Minimum Load Impedance: 10kΩ
Frequency Response: 10Hz – 20kHz, +0.1/-0.5dB
thd+n: <0.1%, 10Hz -18kHz at full level
Phase Response: Linear phase, absolute phase correct
Digital Outputs (type): S/PDIF, 75Ω BNC
Line Outputs Fixed (level): 2.2V rms
Power Supply: XPS, 555 PS
Other: DAC digital to analogue converter, Hi-Line, Power-Line
Infra Red: RC5
Remote Input: 3.5mm jack on rear (RC5)
Remote Output: 3.5mm jack on rear (RC5) x2
RS232: DE9 female (For software upgrade only)
Ethernet: Cat5, WiFi
USB: 1 x front panel
Audio Formats Supported: Internet radio (Windows Media-formatted content, MP3 streams, MMS), Playlists (M3U, PLS), MP3, AAC (up to 320kbit/s, CBR/VBR) Apple Lossless (from iPod), Windows - Media-formatted content-9 (up to 320kbit/s), WAV and FLAC (up to 24bit/96kHz via UPnP or USB
USER CONTROL INTERFACES
Front Panel: Yes
Handheld: User interface app for iPhone and iPod Touch devices
Power Supply Options: Internal Integrated or External
Supply Voltage: 100V, 115V, 230V; 50 or 60Hz
Power Consumption (maximum): 60VA
PRODUCT CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES
Certifications: Apple (made for iPod), vTuner Premium
Licenses: MP3, AAC, DAB
Dimensions: 87 x 432 x 314mm (H x W x D)
Naim NDX (available on 0% finance) is a network audio player with the potential to transform music in the home. It can play UPnP audio streams, internet radio, iPod or iPhone audio, and files stored on USB memory hardware. Three high resolution S/PDIF digital inputs complete its versatility.
What can it do?
NDX is more than just a versatile network audio player. It embodies Naim's unrivalled digital audio experience and knowhow to provide music reproduction quality equivalent to the best-in-class CDX2 CD player and HDX hard disk player. It makes music with vitality and clarity, rhythm and warmth. NDX defines a new class of high-end audio source equipment and brings to it genuine audiophile performance.
Connected to an analogue or digital preamplifier input, NDX unlocks the potential of network audio. Its network connection can be wireless or wired, and NDX can stream audio files, including iTunes libraries, stored on a computer or network storage, via UPnP. It can play a wide range of formats at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution. NDX also recognises M3U and PLS playlists formats and supports gap-less playback on all lossless formats.
NDX can play thousands of internet radio stations and an optional FM/DAB tuner module, that integrates seamlessly with the NDX is also available. NDX can play iPod or iPhone music via its front panel USB socket can play audio files stored on USB drives. NDX is fully Apple Authenticated enabling playback of iPod/iPhone-stored digital media, bypassing the iPod/iPhone internal DAC for optimised performance.
Three independently selectable digital inputs enable S/PDIF signals from CD players, computers and other digital sources at up to 24 bit/192kHz resolution to be handled by the NDX. Each digital input comprises a different socket option; optical TosLink, coaxial phono and coaxial BNC, to provide yet greater versatility and optimised sound quality.
Component selection and layout on the six layer main PCB is optimised for sound quality and the classic Naim extruded non-magnetic aluminium case and chassis construction ensures microphony is minimised. NDX is a true audiophile product where sound quality drives every development decision.
Fastidious attention to power supply noise and regulation is a fundamental element of NDX performance. A massive mains transformer, oversize smoothing capacitors, independent power supplies and multiple regulators, along with painstakingly meticulous PCB layout and earthing topology, ensure minimal power supply noise.
Power Supply Upgrades
The NDX network player can be used in conjunction with the XPS* or 555 PS power supplies to significantly enhance its performance. Versatility and audio quality is worth nothing without an intuitive user interface and the NDX has three. It can be operated from its front panel buttons, from its remote control handset or using the Naim n-Stream app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The app also allows input and volume control of Naim preamplifiers and DAC.In each case, NDX control is simple, intuitive and satisfying.
We are here to help find the right system for you. As a suggested starting point, you may want to consider partnering the NDX with the following:
- NAC 202
- NAP 200
- 555 PS
- UPnP-enabled to stream audio from any hard disk server, network attached storage (NAS) or computer via home network vTuner 5* full service Internet radio
- Optional FM/DAB* module
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player/iPod and USB-stored audio
- Apple authenticated enabling digital output from iPod/iPhone for ultimate quality control, charging and front-panel content display when connected to front-panel USB port via standard Apple connector
- Three 24bit/192kHz-capable S/PDIF inputs for external digital sources
- Multiple intuitive control interfaces: Front panel, remote control handset and iPhone / iPod Touch app
- Internal architecture for hi-res audio playback up to 24bit/192kHz over the network
- Ethernet network connectivity for reliability. Wireless also available for convenience.
- Gapless playback available on all lossless file formats
- Digital output on 75Ohm BNC connector
- Switchable DIN/RCA Analogue outputs
- Wired remote in
- Wired remote out for preamplifier volume control
- Performance upgradeable with addition of external XPS or 555 PS power supply or external DAC digital to analogue converter
- RS232 for software upgrades
- SHARC DSP and buffering with fixed sampling rates
- Naim proprietary 16 times oversampling and digital filtering
- Optical isolation of all key elements
- Linear power supply with 200VA toroidal transformer with four separate windings for digital, DPS, audio clock and analogue sections
- Seven pole analogue output filtering
- Optical isolation of data control lines
- Ultra low noise triple-regulated power supplies
- Ground selector switch for optimum performance
- High quality Burr Brown PCM1791A DAC
- Naim reference non-magnetic, low-resonance low microphony case
- OLED display for high contrast and easy visibility
- British design and build
"Best streamer £2500+ Awards 2011. If sound quality is your priority the NDX has to be the high-end media player of choice. Traditionally, Naim has never liked to be first at anything – and rather than a negative, this strategy has always been something of a point of pride for the company. It likes to wait for the market and technology to settle down before wading in with what invariably turns out to be a well thought-out product. Media players such as this live or die by their ease of operation. The NDX is relatively quick-witted and has a well-thought-out remote handset. We’re convinced that media players such as the NDX will ultimately replace the CD player for many people." (What Hi-Fi Magazine Awards October 2013)