|Warranty length||2 years standard (5 years on registration)|
- Sample Rates Supported: S/PDIF up to 192kHz
- S/PDIF: 1 x BNC, 1 x RCA, 1 x optical
- USB Inputs: 1 front-panel socket
- Other Inputs: Ethernet
- Audio Outputs: DIN and RCA
- Output Impedance: <20Ω minimum
- Frequency Response: 10Hz-20kHz, +0.1/-0.5dB
- Phase Response: Linear phase, absolute phase correct
- Digital Outputs: S/PDIF, 75Ω BNC
- Power Supply: External power supply required. XP5 XS, XPS, 555 PS all compatible (double Burndy connection for 555 PS).
- Other: Hi-Line, Power-Line (on external power supply)
- Infra Red: RC5
- Remote Input: 3.5mm panel jack on rear (RC5)
- Remote Output: 3.5mm panel jack on rear (RC5) x 2
- RS232: DE0 female (for software updates only)
- Network: Ethernet (Cat5), WiFi
- Audio Formats Supported: WAV and AIFF (up to 32bit/192kHz) FLAC (up to 24bit/192kHz), ALAC (up to 24bit/96kHz) - Windows Media-formatted content (up to 16bit/48kHz) must be WMA 9.2, Internet radio (Windows Media-formatted content, MP3 streams, MMS, Ogg Vorbis)
- iRadio Service Provider: vTuner 5* full service
USER CONTROL INTERFACES
- Front Panel: Yes
- Handheld: Remote handset included and optional n-Stream app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch from App Store
- Power Supply Options: External only. XP5 XS, XPS, 555 PS all compatible (double Burndy connection for 555 PS).
- Power Consumption (quiescent): 38W 230V
- Power Consumption (maximum): 50W 230V
PRODUCT CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES
- Certifications: vTuner Premium
- Licenses: MP3, AAC
- Dimensions: 87 x 432 x 314mm (H x W x D)
- Weight: 14Kg
The Naim NDS (available on 0% finance) is a reference-quality network music player without equal. Inspired by the audio engineering and performance of world beating Naim CD players, and using the latest in high resolution network audio technology, the NDS lifts network streaming and digital audio sources unquestionably into the high-end.
A world of music at your fingertips
Connect an NDS to your existing audio system, and the world of network audio opens for discovery. It’s a world of high-resolution audio downloads, UPnP™ streaming, and the vast resource of internet radio. But thanks to Naim audio engineering, it’s also a world of very high quality reproduction, where music lives, breathes and communicates.
From internet radio to 24 bit/192kHz audio, the NDS displays all the musical quality of the finest high-end components. The NDS takes its place above the award winning ND5 XS and NDX as the reference Naim network player. It is a revolutionary step forward for high-end audio.
A range of streaming sources
In addition to a network connection for UPnP™ streaming and internet radio, the NDS uses three high-resolution S/PDIF digital audio inputs, and a USB input for audio stored on USB memory sticks. Its network connection can be either wireless or wired, and the NDS can play audio files, including iTunes libraries, stored on a computer or on network storage. Each digital input comprises a different connection socket option; optical TosLink, coaxial phono and coaxial BNC, to provide yet greater versatility and optimised sound quality.
What file types is NDS compatible with?
The NDS can play all common, and some not so common, audio file and stream formats at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution: WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, AAC Windows Media-formatted content, Ogg Vorbis and MP3. The NDS also recognises M3U and PLS playlists formats and supports gap-less playback across all formats.
Versatility and high-end audio performance is worth nothing without an intuitive user interface and the NDS has three. It can be operated from its front panel buttons, from its remote control handset or using the graphically rich and immensely satisfying Naim n-Stream iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad app. In each case, control is simple, intuitive and dependable. The NDS can also be hardware linked with preamplifier remote control to create integrated audio system control.
The NDS not only borrows from the technology of Naim CD players, it also borrows the celebrated Naim external power supply and upgrade philosophy. In common with all the top line Naim Classic Series source and preamplifier components, the NDS has no internal power supply. It can be partnered however by an XP5 XS, an XPS or a 555 PS (using one or, in the case of the 555 PS, two Burndy interconnects). Each power supply upgrade brings more musical detail, clarity and emotion from every digital audio source or network stream.
The Naim NDS is also available with two optional Burndy Interconnects.
This is a full list of features for this reference streamer:
- UPnP-enabled to stream audio files from any hard disk server such as HDX or UnitiServe, network attached storage (NAS) or laptop/computer via the home network
- vTuner 5* full service internet radio
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player and USB-stored audio
- Three 24bit/192kHz-capable S/PDIF inputs for external digital sources
- Multiple intuitive control interfaces: front panel, remote control handset and n-Stream iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch control app
- Internal architecture for high-resolution playback of audio up to 24bit/192kHz over the network
- Ethernet and Wi-Fi network connectivity
- Streams/plays WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted content, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 files from any suitable UPnP™ device or USB-connected storage device
- Gapless playback available on all lossless file formats and some lossy formats (exc Ogg Vorbis and Windows Media-formatted content)
- Digital output on 75Ω BNC connector
- Switchable DIN/RCA Analogue outputs
- Isolation cans house streaming module, DSP power supply and DACs preventing noise transference to other boards
- Suspension isolation system for analogue two layer and digital 6 layer board - provides a mechanical resonance below the audible range at 4Hz
- Wired remote in
- Wired remote out for preamplifier volume control and input switching, also for CD player and DAC control
- No internal power supply to minimise noise and interference
- External power supply required. Compatible with XP5 XS, XPS or 555 PS power supplies (two Burndy interconnects required for use with 555 PS)
- USB mini-b connector for software upgrades
- SHARC 40-bit DSP for jitter removal and Naim oversampling
- Naim proprietary 16 times oversampling and digital filtering
- Optical/galvanic isolation of all key elements
- Ground selector switch for optimum performance
- High quality Burr Brown PCM1704 precision laser-trimmed sign-magnitude ladder DACs
- Naim reference non-magnetic, low-resonance low microphony case
- OLED display for high contrast and easy visibility