|Product Award||HiFi World 5 Globes|
- Selectable gain ratio (14dB, 20dB and 26dB).
- Selectable cartridge loading - 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, 80K and O/C (custom values available).
- All internal connections use 0.6mm silver coated solid core copper wire with PTFE insulation, point to point hand wired (Silver version features 99.99% pure silver winding an internal wiring).
- All components are of the highest quality; gold plated RCA connectors and Swiss made ELMA silver contact rotary switches.
- Each unit is entirely hand constructed and rigorously tested, both mechanically and electrically.
- 3 way grounding switch allows any grounding issues to be addressed easily.
- Transformer isolates components, breaking ground loop problems and reducing noise.
- Transformer offers gain without adding noise or colouration.
- Transformer affords superior transfer of musical energy.
The Music First Audio MC Step up is placed between a low output Moving Coil phono cartridge and the Moving Magnet input of a phono preamplifier to increase gain.
Because it is transformer based, the Music First Audio MC Step up increases gain without adding noise and because it uses a very high quality transformer, it adds no colouration.
It is housed in a custom designed aluminium case measuring 88mm x 216mm x 200mm
The core component of the Moving Coil Step up is the legendary Stevens & Billington TX103 MC Step up transformer. This hand crafted transformer is the result of thirty plus years of high end transformer design.
The transformer features a split, four section primary winding which allows gain ratios of 1:5 (14dB gain), 1:10 (20dB gain) and 1:20 (26dB gain).
Like all Music First Audio products, each unit is made by hand at their workshops on the south coast of the UK.
'...proved my suspicions that the MC nput of many phono stages is far worse than thier MM inputs and it's this extra gain stage that damages thier overall performance on MC' (Hi-Fi World Magazine)
'A great product', 'Worthy of serious ivestigation', '...a superb measured performance' (Hi-Fi World Magazine)
'Put simply, through the MFA, the music sounds fuller, cleaner and more solidly focused.' (Hi-Fi Choice Magazine)
'...offers tangible improvements in sound quality and greatly reduced noise – even compared to the best solid-state MC step-up preamplifiers.' (Hi-Fi Choice Magazine)
'...a winning combination of rich, silky smoothness and focused incisive clarity' (Hi-Fi Choice Magazine)
'the MFA Step-up proved to be the quietest way to raise delicate MC output I've heard' (Hi-Fi+ Magazine)
'...you're in rarefied super-fi territory', '...blissfully quiet backgrounds up to insane volume positions' (Hi-Fi+ Magazine)
'The very essence of vinyl record fidelity is preserved with this moving-coil step up transformer' (Hi-Fi+ Magazine)