|Warranty length||1 Year|
|Product Award||HiFi World 5 Globes|
- Comprehensive manual supplied
- Built in meter “Easy Bias” system
- Full instructions for valve change included
- All hand wired point to point
- No printed circuit board to ‘colour’ the sound
- Japanese ALPS volume pot.
- Class A, all Triode front end
- Output circuit Ultralinear or Triode switchable*
- 4x EL34/KT88 precisely matched for best performance
- 1x 6SL7/6N9 first stage valve, 2x 6SN7 phase splitter
- 274B/GZ34 valve rectifier for ‘Soft start’ and smooth sound
- Standby switch to save valve life and power
- 2x 40w RMS per channel output
- 2x 20 Watts RMS in Triode mode
- Signal to noise level -90db
- Freq response better than 20hz-20kHz +0 – 1db
- Power bandwidth 10hz-30khz
- Total harmonic distortion 0.15% at full output
- Suitable for 4 to 16ohm loudspeakers
- Supplied with attractive valve cover.
- Choke regulated power supply
- Solen audio caps, or Jensen copper foil in paper and oil
- Silver PTFE audio cable
- Custom hand wound Tertiary output transformers
- Gold plated Input & speaker terminals
- Four line inputs – CD, Tape, Tuner, Aux
- Tape monitor circuit with ‘Record Out’
- 250mv input sensitivity.
- Power requirement 220-240volts (115v adjustable)
- 76 Watts standby, 140 W Min, 240 W max.
- CE, ROHSS and WEEE
- 39cmW, 41D, 21H, 25kg (a minimum of 30mm height should be added to allow for ventilatio
The Icon Audio Stereo 40 MkIIIm is made to tick all the boxes that makes a valve amplifier great , including an in-built “Easy Bias” meter to keep your amplifier "on song", ample levels of power (with a choice of valve options) and a beautiful finish which is very well done. This is the most attractive Stereo 40 model yet as well as the best sounding.
Valve Rectifier (centre valve)
This gives a very smooth sound, normally only fitted to expensive amplifiers. We use the excellent 274B WE design.
Choke Regulated Power Supply
Working with the valve rectifier the large choke gives super-smooth power regulation for a silent background.
These have an extra (third) winding which reduces distortion, using less feedback. Our large handmade output transformers are among the finest available. They are more expensive and difficult to make, but worth the effort.
Too much feedback takes the spark and spontaneity from the sound of the ST40 IIIm
Wide range of valves
The Stereo 40 is designed to work with a wide range of output valves. You can choose between EL34 or KT88 (or even KT66/77, 6CA7, 6550). So you can experiment in the future and get the sound best for you.
Ultralinear or Triode?
For sixty years hi fi fans have argued which sound is better. With the Stereo 40 III you have the choice of both at the flick of a switch. It is like having two amplifiers in one! Most Hi Fi fans prefer the sound of triode valves, especially for acoustic music.
6SN7 and 6SL7
Far better than their miniature cousins, these larger older valves are the best in their class for their musical sound and longer life. Try the new Tian Jin “Full Music” or SG “Treasure” types or Vintage USA/Russian types.
It’s hard to get exactly the right volume in your listening position. Now you can make fine adjustments in your arm chair, to get precisely the right sound level.
Plenty of Power
40 watts of power is enough to fill a medium to large room with a high volume of musical excellence This new design is finished with a fine metallic paint work that is easy to clean and is wear resistant. A 10 mm solid alloy front panel with polished dark chrome alloy knobs. And our famous Plexiglas valve cover to create a stunning visual impression. We can offer a range of upgrades including Shuguang “Treasure” valves and Russian types. As well as the superb Jensen “oil in paper” capacitors. Ask us for a quote.
Where does it fit in?
The ST40 IIIm is a very versatile mid range amplifier designed to get the best out of the popular EL34 and KT88 valves. Its low distortion and excellent bandwidth will drive a wide range of modern and older speakers very well. An excellent alternative to a transistor amplifier, more detailed and revealing with a warmer heart. When operated in triode mode the performance rivals that of expensive triode valves like the 300B.