|Warranty length||1 Year|
|Product Award||HiFi World 5 Globes|
- Built in volume control, will drive most power amps
- Max output 50 volts for massive headroom.
- Signal to noise ratio -88db MM unweighted
- Stereo/mono switch for better S/N and distortion from mono and worn stereo records
- Valve rectified power supply
- Valve regulated power supply
- Twin Choke for exceptional smoothing
- Separate Power supply for lower noise
- Comprehensive manual supplied with tube change info
- All hand wired point to point
- No printed circuit board to ‘colour’ sound
- Japanese Blue ALPS volume pot.
- All Triode valves
- 4x ECC88 1x 6SN7 (pre-amp)
- 1x EZ80 1x ECC83 1x 5687 (power supply)
- Sensitivity: 3mv for 1.26v output
- Gain MM 53db
- Load: imp: 47k MM
- Output source impedance 50 ohms
- RIAA Freq response 20hz-20khz +0 – 0.5db
- NO feedback used, Passive RIAA
- Low noise oversized 2w metal film resistors
- Blue LED mains indicator
- Polypropylene audio capacitors
- Silver PTFE audio cable
- DC supply for valve heaters
- Heater circuit floated to minimise heater-cathode noise
- Polished stainless steel chassis
- 6mm solid alloy front & rear plates
- Gold plated Input terminals
- 230/240volts (also 120v), 50watts 1.5A fuse
- Size both units: 148mm W, 165mm H, 342mm D (allow for connections). Only minimal ventilation required.
- Weight PSU 7kg Pre-amplifier 4kg
- For Shipping 45cm x 48cm x 29cm 14kg (gross packed)
- C E compliant. Conforms to ROHS and WEEE
The Icon Audio PS3 MkII phono stage (for MM cartridges only) follows on from the acclaimed PS1 phono stage (now replaced by the PS1 MkII) and pushes the boundary of valve technology in vinyl replay and will open you to a new level of listening of your record collection.
Icon Audio have used all their expertise and experience to improve the original PS3 and create a “no expense spared” phono stage which addresses all the weaknesses of more conventional designs but still retaining their “all valve” philosophy, and for how it sounds, it's amazing value!
This PS3 MkII is for MM cartridges only, but we also sell the MM and MC version of the PS3 MkII.
So what’s special about the PS3 MkII?
Special amplification needs a special power supply. We start with a large, oversized power transformer and a full wave valve EZ80 rectifier followed by two large chokes for ultra-smooth power. This is then regulated by a low resistance 5687 valve controlled by an ECC83 for the very accurate voltage necessary for exceptional purity and performance.
The pre-amp unit uses the “cascode effect” of using two valves together in a special way to obtain high gain with low noise this gives exceptional definition and sound staging whilst keeping the vivid colour and warmth that our PS1 phono stage is famous for. With two inputs and a moving coil option using our own “hand wound” moving coil transformers. The output is handled by the venerable 6SN7. Introduced in 1941, probably the most luxurious sounding hi fi valve ever, with so many old and new versions.
Why is the PS3 MkII so good?
- Better definition using “Double Cascode” circuit which has the delicious, liquid sound of triode valves, whilst solving many of the technical problems of high gain
- Two high value chokes for ultra smooth DC power. These are expensive and heavy, but we think the relaxed smooth sound is well the effort.
- Uses four of the excellent ECC88 valves
- Uses the amazing 6SN7 as output valve, (probably the best sounding hi fi valve, ever!)
- Specially developed “All valve” power supply
- Smooth Valve rectified using EZ80
- Valve regulated using ECC83 and 5687
- Two box construction for minimum noise
- Our “passive” design uses no “feedback”
- Our simple design uses “audiophile” components
- We use “hard wired” “point to point” wiring with no printed circuit board
- Only full sized components are used
- Easily upgraded, e.g. Jensen capacitorsons to try if you so desire!
You are immediately aware of the lack of “grittiness” and top end harshness that some designs exhibit. The sound is much more fluid and musical. The available detail is extraordinary! On good discs the background is “inky black” silent. Discs with some wear sound far better than you would expect. When playing old mono discs the mono switch will eliminate much noise (why listen to stereo noise on a mono recording?) Now you can hear the true magic of vinyl!
' Landmark product that brings easy computer music to audiophiles- and does so with such élan.' PS3 MKII MM and MC (Hi-Fi World Magazine November 2008)
'Exceptional valve phono stage of fantastic quality...wide tonal palette...great dynamics...MM and MC...the PS3 is toweringly capable in a way few other phono stages can manage.' PS3 MKII MM and MC (Hi-Fi World Magazine November 2008)