|Warranty length||1 Year|
|Product Award||HiFi World 5 Globes|
- Built in volume control, will drive most power amps
- Stereo/mono switch for better S/N and distortion from mono and worn stereo records
- Choke regulated power supply
- Separate Power supply for lower noise
- Comprehensive manual supplied
- All hand wired point to point
- No printed circuit board to ‘colour’ sound
- Japanese Blue ALPS volume pot.
- All Triode valves
- 2x ECC83 1x ECC81
- Sensitivity: 3mv for 1.26v output (0.3mv MC)
- Gain MM 53db MC 72db
- Load: imp: 47k MM, 100 ohms MC
- Source impedance 50 ohms
- Signal to noise level -75db (MM unweighted)
- RIAA Freq response 20hz-20khz +0 – 1db
- NO feedback used, Passive RIAA
- High quality 2w metal film, & wire-wound resistors
- Blue LED mains indicator
- Polypropylene audio capacitors
- Silver PTFE audio cable
- DC supply for valve heaters
- Heater circuit floated to minimise heater-cathode noise
- Polished stainless steel chassis
- 6mm solid alloy front & rear plates
- Gold plated Input terminals
- 230/240volts (also 120v), 50watts 1.0A anti-surge fuse
- C E certified. Conforms to ROHS and WEEE
- 88mmW, 310mmD (350), 134mmH , 3kg Pre-amp (figures in brackets allow for rear connections)
- 165mmD, 82mmW 80mmH 4kg power supply unit
- Shipping size/weight 42cm x 38cm x 30cm 9.6kg
The Icon Audio PS1 MkII phono stage (for phono cartridges only) is a high end yet affordable valve pre amplifier for your turntable. Icon Audio's amplifiers have an enviable reputation for making stunning valve amplifiers and the original PS1 was no exception. Introduced in 2005 it has proved to be one of their best sellers, having sold out very quickly, and this latest version is even better.
Why is the PS1 MkII so good?
- Massive overload of valves prevent distortion and minimise noise.
- The “warm” sound of valves is particularly suited to the analogue sound from vinyl.
- The huge 40db RIAA difference between 20hz and 20khz is easier for valves than transistors.
- Our “passive” design uses no “feedback”
- Our simple design uses “audiophile” components.
- We use “hard wired” “point to point” wiring with no printed circuit board.
But beware! There are several “so called” “valve phono pre-amps” that are only part valve or only use valves as an output stage. It is essential that that these tiny precious few milivolts of signal go straight in to the valve without any resistor or coupling capacitor in the way to add sonic impurities.
This MkII version of the PS1 has a tweaked power supply and ten small improvements to the circuit and wiring. Most phono stages use an RIAA equalisation using feedback. Icon consider this approach is nowhere near as good as a “passive” network which sounds “sweeter” and easier to listen to, and again is less prone to emphasising noise. As such, they made the conscious decision not to give a choice of matching impedances and gain.
Experience of other units with the “dip” switches etc is that they add unnecessary paths for this most delicate of tiny signals, which can cause problems later as the contacts corrode or get dirty, spoiling sonic purity. The PS1 has plenty of gain, which may be balanced by the volume control. Impedance matching is not critical in most cases (we can build to your specification if necessary).
The result? You are immediately aware of the lack of “grittiness” and top end harshness that some designs exhibit. The sound is much more fluid and musical. The available detail is extraordinary! On good discs the background is “inky black” silent. Discs with some wear are still very listenable, When playing old mono discs the mono switch will eliminate much noise (why listen to stereo noise on a mono recording?) Almost immediately you will hear the true magic of vinyl!“
This is the MM only version of the PS1 MkII. We also sell the MM and MC version of the PS1 MkII.