|Power Per Channel (8ohms)||15W|
|Warranty length||1 Year|
|Product Award||HiFi World 5 Globes|
- Comprehensive manual supplied
- Full instructions for DIY valve change included
- Full instructions for 845 valve testing included
- Meter supplied for valve 845 bias/condition testing
- All hand wired point to point
- No printed circuit board to ‘colour’ sound
- Class A, all Triode front end
- Fitted with the Shuguang 845, (upgrades available)
- 2x 845 precisely matched for best performance
- 6SL7 first stage gain valves
- 6SN7 driver valve, choke loaded plates
- HT delay unnecessary as 845s have instant start
- AC 845 heating for max life and max reliability
- 80w RMS output at clipping point
- Giving approx 15 Watts of Pure Class A
- Can be used with passive or active pre-amp
- 480mv (high) & 1000mv (low) input sensitivity.
- Signal to noise level -95db
- Hum and noise 0.5mv (low sensitivity)*
- 6SL7/6SN7 DC heater circuit for minimum hum
- Freq response -1db points= 7Hz – 18kHz 1w
- Freq response -3db points= 7Hz – 39kHz 1w
- Source impedance 0.6Ω (8Ω taps, low sensitivity)
- Damping factor 14 @ 8Ω
- Gain 27 Low or 58 High
- THD typically less than 0.4% @ 8w (1kHz)
- 4 & 8 ohm loudspeaker taps
- Custom hand-wound mains/output transformers using Japanese special long grain iron and low oxygen copper oven baked in resin to minimise mechanical hum and increase reliability.
- Attractive valve cover included in the price
- High quality 2W metal film, & wire-wound resistors
- Blue LED mains indicator
- Polypropylene audio capacitors (or optional copper foil in paper & oil upgrades)
- Silver PTFE audio cable
- Ceramic valve holders for minimum leakage
- Gold plated Input & speaker terminals
- 230/240volts (117v covetable )
- Power consumption: 180w quiescent, (290w max sine wave) each
- C E, ROHS, WEEE compliant where applicable
- Size in mm W220, D520, H290 mm ( inc cover), 23kg each
- Shipping H 32, W 32, D 59cm 24kg
The Icon Audio MB845i Mono Block Power Amplifier is an upgrade of the original design, the main change is the use of 'LDT' output transformers which make use of a tertiary or 3rd winding to reduce distortion and increase linearity. The brand new design features a heavy gauge steel chassis, 20 mm solid alloy front panel and Icon Audio's famous stainless steel and Plexiglass valve cover to create a stunning visual impression. On the scales at 50Kg (pair) this amplifier is no lightweight in quality or performance and should give many years of excellent service.
It is relatively easy to make an amplifier out of the myriad of parts that are available today, but in order to create a sound which above all is truthful without “harshness” or a mechanical sound, all the components must be in sympathy with each other. Our preference for simple designs, gives a faster more transparent sound but plenty of power in reserve, Icon Audio used all their expertise to create a simple practical design similar to our popular MB90 KT90 mono-blocks.
Did you know?
Two 845s in class AB1 produce as much “Class A” as a pair of KT66/300Bs in pure class A, but more than four times the power in AB1. And their low idle current causes much less stress on the tube. As it is less than 50% of the maximum rating, preserving tube life.
A useful feature of the MB845s is the high and low sensitivity. This enables MB845s to work with both “Passive” and conventional pre amplifiers. This is not done by the usual attenuation which increases noise and reduces quality, but genuinely changes the sensitivity (or gain) of the input. Surprisingly from such big amplifiers is how well they perform at low powers. Their agility and detailed texture of strings and vocals is quite astounding.