|Warranty length||1 Year|
- Full instructions for valve change included
- All hand wired point to point
- No printed circuit board to ‘colour’ sound
- Japanese Blue ALPS volume pot.
- Class A, all Triode circuit
- Output impedance matching from 8 to 600Ω
- 2 x Russian 6SN7
- NOS, Treasure and Full Music types available
- 1x ECC83 first stage valve
- Signal to noise level -90db
- Freq resp: 20hz-20kHz +0 –0.2db
- THD: typically <0.2% 1khz
- Suitable for 4-8 ohm loudspeakers
- Japanese steel EI transformers
- low oxygen copper
- Slim profile design
- High quality 2W metal film
- Wire-wound resistors
- Blue LED mains indicator
- Polypropylene audio capacitors
- Silver TEFLON audio cable
- Custom hand wound output transformers
- Ceramic valve holders for minimum leakage
- Gold plated Input & speaker terminals
- One line input
- 350mv input sensitivity.
- 230/240volts 36 watts.
- Dimensions (mm): 110W x 350D x 148H,
- Weight (kg): 6.5
The Icon Audio HP8 MkII headphone amplifier is in fact a miniaturised hi-fi valve amplifier, featuring a custom wound output transformer which provides perfect matching to virtually any headphone load. This model is designed to provide a much better listening experience than most substandard headphone outputs and is an excellent match for many headphones.
*The Icon Audio HP8 MkII is available in an "upgraded" version which incorporates a Jensen capacitor upgrade, an upgrade from the standard 6SN7 valves to David Shaw CV181 and a gold pin 12AX7 rather than the standard 12AX7 valves. These upgrades offer even more detail, dynamics and performance.*
The conventional way to provide a headphone output is to drop the power through a resistor. This has a big problem that it provides very high source impedance (rather like a weak battery) the effect of this is to give very 'Low FI' results. Ideally headphones should be driven from small high quality amplifiers. Many headphone amplifiers use small “microchip” amps which although are a better solution still do not provide ideal matching to the wide range of headphones available.
Icon Audio start with a substantial mains transformer with matching power supply and two output transformers. It uses silver Teflon audio cable, gold plated terminals and the famous “ALPS” volume pot for sonic purity. The HP8 MK II tops the scales at 7kg, giving you an idea of how much iron you get for your money. Like its predecessor and other models, the HP8 MKII has no printed circuit board and is all hard wired with top quality components.
The first stage gain uses the JJ 12AX7 - a valve renowned for its detail and fluidity. The tonal smoothness compliments the super 6SN7 valve. This valve combination provides spectacular insight into the details and texture of your favourite recordings, whether they are analogue or digital.
The HP8 MkII features the same superb build quality that Icon Audio have been associated with, combining anodised alloy plate, stainless and painted steel. No cheap metals and plastic are used with the HP8!