|Frequency Response||5 Hz to 28 KHz|
|Warranty length||1 Year (3 Years on registration)|
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 28 KHz
- Impedance: 46 ohms nominal (non-reactive)
- Sensitivity: 85 dB
- Distortion: Less than 1%; Less than 0.2%
- Weight: 660 grams (without cable)
Abyss AB-1266 planar magnetic headphones are the finest pair of headphones money can buy presented here in the *Deluxe Package* that includes a headphone stand, soft leather case and more. The ultimate headphone for every committed music lover.
Pinnacle of Headphone Technology
Abyss Headphones are widely regarded as the absolute pinnacle of headphone technology. The finest quality, the best possible sound. Designed by audiophiles, for audiophiles and born of a desperate need for a superior way to listen to music whilst on-the-go, without dragging an entire philharmonic orchestra on your travels.
The team behind these incredible headphones deeply understand the vast importance of the emotional connection between and audiophile and their music. There are no electronic tricks, no unnecessary fluff - just pure, unadulterated sound in its clearest form.
The Abyss AB-1266 are the result of two intense years of graft, passion and perfectionism by Joe Skubinski, the founder of the high-end audio cable company JPS Labs, and his son Eric. Their dream was to 'try' and produce the best headphones in the world... and everyone we've asked have confirmed their dream has been achieved, in a spectacular fashion.
Based on Iconic Stax SR-009
Using the iconic (and revered) Stax SR-009 as the model to surpass, they focused on improving resolution, focus, dynamics, frequency extension, and all around ease of use. This is achieved through components machined from solid aluminium, a low carbon steel front baffle and wonderfully soft lambskin pads. Most notably, is the attention to detail.
An uncommon feature is the driver assemblies, which use no rear magnet structure - eliminating reflections for the driver diaphragm, and then there are the efforts made to provide a stiff, stable, and resonance free mounting platform for these drivers. And then, there are the black frames. Completely adjustable and shaped like an inverted 'U', these are not flexible.
They are beefy and sturdy thick metal frames which will feel as though they are comfortably bolted to their lucky wearer's head. Any other frame - even the closest competitor - will feel pathetically flimsy once you have tried a pair of these. It's the closest you can get - sound wise - to being in the room with the band, even on the road.
No Breaking-In Necessary
Detailed, crystalline highs, lush mid ends and a deep, full-bodied base. Perfectly balanced and guaranteed to win over even the most hardened sceptics within the first listen. It delivers absolute transparency; superior even to Stax SR-009, and this terrific sound is delivered straight from the box. These will require none of the 'breaking in' that so many high-end headphones require.
They will sound perfect from the very first listen. Abyss have provided a few extras to ensure they stay in beautiful condition no matter where you're using them. A branded aluminium headphone stand for home and a thick leather 'man bag' for the road. These beauties have to be heard to be believed - but once you hear you will believe. They are worth every penny.
Why the Abyss?
- Rigid chassis consisting of L/R frames and structural adjustable two piece headband
- All components machined from solid aluminium for exceptional strength
- Integrated resonance control for minimal added colouration
- High quality anodised finish with bare aluminium accents
- Proprietary planar magnetic transducer design (Patent Pending)
- Amazing bandwidth and low-level detail retrieval in the bass, mids, and highs
- No rear magnet structure eliminates annoying reflections for completely open sound
- Unique custom-made high power neodymium magnets with optimised slot pattern
- Low carbon steel front baffle with integrated resonance control
- Unique breathable aluminium sides acoustically tuned to the Abyss planar diaphragm
- High-quality soft lambskin ear pads for comfort and finely tuned acoustics
- Unique adjustability allows for varying head shapes
- Padded leather headband with head movement isolation, Abyss embroidered logo
- Dual balanced 2.5m XLR cable, both 1/4" (6.3mm) and 4 pin XLR cable Y-adaptors
- Custom made by JPS Labs for Abyss. Internal wiring also by JPS Labs
- Heavy leather carry case with extra room and pockets for a portable amp/DAC or iPad
- Nicely handcrafted two-tone felt lined wooden box touting Abyss logo secures all above
- Heavy laser engraved aluminium headphone stand for easy storage; always ready to play
- All main components permanently laser engraved for traceability and collectability
'I believe the Abyss AB-1266 has established a new benchmark for top-tier headphone performance. It is a stunning achievement—one made all the more impressive by the fact that it represents Abyss’ first-ever effort in the category [...] Let me simply say that if you wish to hear what one of the greatest world-class headphones ever produced can do for you and your music, you owe it to yourself to give the remarkable AB-1266 a careful listen.' (The Absolute Sound) read the full review here
'If your philosophy is to always buy the best and forget the rest, get one of these bad boys and you can forget the rest.' (Head-Fi Journey)
'With good recordings you feel like you're in the room with the band;no other headphone can come close to producing that level of realism [...] The Abyss AB-1266 is the most expensive headphone I've ever tested, but it outruns the competition in every way I evaluate headphone sound.' (CNET)
'I think these are marvellous cans for small ensemble acoustic chamber, jazz, and world music, and would recommend them to avid headphone audiophiles with very healthy wallets to round out a world-class collection of headphones with something quite unusual and fun.' (Inner Fidelity)
22 Feb 2016I think these are marvellous cans for small ensemble acoustic chamber, jazz, and world music, and would recommend them to avid headphone audiophiles with very healthy wallets to round out a world-class collection of headphones with something quite unusual and fun. With good recordings you feel like you're in the room with the band;no other headphone can come close to producing that level of realism. The Abyss AB-1266 is the most expensive headphone I've ever tested, but it outruns the competition in every way I evaluate headphone sound.
28 Apr 2015'I think these are marvellous cans for small ensemble acoustic chamber, jazz, and world music, and would recommend them to avid headphone audiophiles with very healthy wallets to round out a world-class collection of headphones with something quite unusual and fun